Here is the job that interests you:
Director of Accounting - Boca Raton
Sports and Fitness
Location: Boca Raton, FL
|Job Status: Full Time
This position reports to the VP/CFO and supports the work of the YMCA of South Palm Beach County, a leading non-profit committed to strengthening community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. Provides direction and leadership for the organization’s finance and business operations; oversees accounting practices, the maintenance of fiscal records and the preparation of financial reports; ensures a system of strong internal controls and maintains fiscal soundness; manages the annual external audit, the 990 tax return and the preparation of information for outside funders.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent.
• Minimum of three years of related experience in accounting.
• Accounting experience in a nonprofit organization preferred.
• Public Accounting experience is a definite plus
• Previous staff supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge of, and expertise with, computerized accounting systems and standard business software.
• Manages all functions of accounting and business operations, ensuring that legal and audit requirements are met and that best practices and maximum efficiency are obtained.
• Hires, trains, and oversees assigned staff, providing direct supervision. Arranges back-up for staff as needed.
• Manages the annual independent audit, the preparation of financial statements and the IRS 990 tax form. Prepares or oversees the preparation of required audit schedules; maintains records; acts as liaison with audit team.
• Oversees and provides leadership to the annual budget process including: issuing guidelines and procedures; training staff, auditing budgets, overseeing data input and preparing reports.
• Implements appropriate systems and internal controls to adequately safeguard the YMCAs financial resources and to provide a solid basis for accurately reporting financial data.
• Prepares or supervises the preparation of outside reports and filings including Y-USA reporting.
• Manages the month-end and year-end closings and the preparation of statements and reports including monthly accounts reconciliation.
• Collects and maintains data on government contracts and grants.
• Will assist VP/CFO with various ad hoc financial reporting and analysis projects as required
• Will work closely with HR/Payroll Director to ensure accuracy and compliance of payroll processing and effective internal controls.
• Represents the YMCA with key community organizations and events as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Candidate must also possess the following attributes:
• Dedication- the individual should be committed to achieving results under demanding time frames.
• Analytical-the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information
• Problem solving- the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyses information skillfully.
• Oral communication- the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
• Delegation- The individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitor delegated activities as and when required
• Leadership- the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others.
• Management skills- the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth as and when required.
• Quality management- the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Judgment- the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
• Confidentiality– The individual will display, at all times and in all situations, a high level of confidentiality.
• Professionalism – the individual will display, at all times and in all situations, a high degree of professionalism.
• Growth and Development - the individual must display a strong propensity toward learning, personal growth and development in the role.
• Enthusiasm – individual will display enthusiasm in the role.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
• The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
• Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
• Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
• Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
• Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.