A Modern Job Ad Template that Works
Writing a job posting is both an art and science. Naturally, you want to craft your ad in a compelling and creative manner to capture top talent’s attention and convince candidates to apply. At the same time, you need to develop your posting according to tried-and-true best practices to ensure the right job seekers find your ad in their searches.
Your goal is simple: Speak directly to the reader – your potential hire – and clearly lay out what they will do in the role, what they will bring to the position, and why they will love working for you. Remember, you’re essentially selling the job and your company (it is an advertisement, after all).
Luckily, you don’t have to be a marketing maven or Pulitzer Prize-winning writer to create an effective job posting. Writing a job ad that resounds with today’s job seekers simply requires a bit of repositioning with more candidate-centric wording than you’d find in traditional job postings. This modern job ad template (with step-by-step instructions) will help you learn how to write a good job description that attracts applicants.
1. Title: Keep the title of your job ad brief (no more than three or four words). Ideally, the title should include the position title, and if appropriate, a descriptor or two to indicate the type of work.
Customer Relationship Manager
Senior Representative – Outside Sales
Data Architect – Remote
2. The Elevator Speech: Begin your ad with a brief overview of who you are, what you do, and the position you are filling. This section will give the reader quick and digestible details of the opening. Describe your organization and mission, the role you’re looking for, and the job’s overall purpose. Indicate the department the new hire will work in and whom they will report to (if desired).
Company XYZ is a customer-focused organization dedicated to providing exceptional service as leaders in the hospitality industry. We are seeking a Customer Relationship Manager to join our team. Your role will be to lead our growing team of dedicated Customer Success Representatives and promote customer retention and loyalty. As a member of the Customer Success department, you will work with 12 other reps and report to our Customer Service Director.
3. Job Duties: Next, list the core responsibilities and tasks the new hire will be required to do, but speak to the candidate. Consider the below candidate-friendly format to describe what the role entails.
What You Will Do:
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and key personnel within our client companies.
- Conduct regular business reviews to ensure clients are satisfied with their products and services and identify upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure client satisfaction.
4. Job Requirements: Here, inform the reader what qualifications they will need to succeed in the role. As with the previous section, format this list to speak to the candidate (what they will bring to the position) to provide additional clarity and build trust with your employer brand.
What You Will Bring:
Our ideal candidate will have 1 to 3 years of relevant experience and the following credentials/skills:
- Bachelor's Degree Customer Service
- General Office Duties
- Training and Development
- Communication Skills
5. Company Culture, Salary & Benefits: This section is all about promoting your ever-important employer brand and telling your prospective candidates why they’ll enjoy working with you (instead of your competitor). Include a line or two about your company culture, the salary range for the position, and notable benefits and perks.
Why You’ll Love Us:
We unite around a common cause that brings the team together and ensures everyone is working toward the same goal.
Salary range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000 per year. We offer the following benefits:
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
Create Your Account Today
6. EOE Statement: Lastly, when writing a job ad, include an equal opportunity statement to promote your company’s dedication to DE&I and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Our company is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
You may also include the following additional details in your job posting if you wish:
- Instructions for submitting work samples or references.
- Contact information for the hiring manager or recruiter.
- The timeframe in which you plan to reach out to applicants to schedule interviews.
- Links to your website’s “Careers” or “About Us” pages and/or social media site(s).
Below, you’ll find a template for creating a modern job posting of your own. If you’re a registered employer, you can generate an ad right in the job posting flow in your account with iHire's Job Ad Builder. Or, if you’re still unsure how to write a good job description, work with our HR Services & Consulting team.
Job Ad Template
We are a [describe your organization]. Our mission is [company mission].
We are seeking a new [job title] to join our team. Your role will be to [overall purpose of job].
As a member of the [department] department, you will work with [team positions] and report to our [manager title].
What You Will Do:
What You Will Bring:
Our ideal candidate will have [years of experience] of relevant experience and the following credentials/skills:
Why You'll Love Us:
[Describe your company culture]
Salary range for this position is [$x-$y]. We offer the following benefits:
[Equal Opportunity Statement]
December 06, 2021