Getting Help With Your Sports Sales Career
We don’t have enough space on this blog to highlight all of Dr. Sutton’s career accomplishments but one that stands out is his development of the Sports Sales Combine, modeled after the NFL combine as an intensive means to train people to work in sports sales at the professional level.
The success of the program has been impressive, with conferences now held across the nation teaching the values and techniques necessary to launch sports sales careers.
“I created the Combine with my good friend and colleague Dr. Dick Irwin of the University of Memphis,” recalls Dr. Sutton. “It was created for a number of reasons:
- To provide students a realistic view and experience as to what a sales job is
- To help the industry make a more accurate assessment of who could be successful entering the sales training programs
- To overcome the stigma, misperceptions and fear regarding sales
- To counteract the theory advocated by many educators that since the majority of opportunities are in sales - just go get your foot in the door and then you can pursue what you want.
- To help young people find that first job and begin their careers
Continued Dr. Sutton, “we firmly believe that you shouldn't pursue sports sales career if you don't want to sell - but that young people need opportunities like the Sales Combine to find out what sales is really about.”
Well here is your latest opportunity - the sports sales combine is coming to Phoenix, November 7th-8th and registration is open. The innovative sales training program has placed more than 150 combine alumni with professional teams, but even if you don’t get hired right at the event, the skills you learn will set you up for success.
Phoenix combine attendees include representatives from:
- Phoenix Suns
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Arizona State Sun Devil Athletics
- Arizona United Soccer Club
- Charlotte Hornets
- Los Angeles Clippers
- San Diego Pares
- New Jersey Devils
- San Francisco 49ers
- …and more
Team representatives are there looking to hire, and also take part in the sales training so you get the best of both worlds. The Sports Sales Combine registration fee is $475.00 and includes the following:
- 2 days of hands-on sales training, prospecting and sales call experience
- Ticket to a Phoenix Suns game on Nov. 7 vs the Sacramento Kings
- Direct access to a network of professional sales hiring managers from MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL teams
- GUARANTEED job interview with at least 2 attending organizations
- Networking mixer with participating team representatives that includes free food and non-alcoholic drinks
- Sales Combine Scouting Report, a comprehensive overview of your combine performance including feedback from participating coaches. The Scouting Report is also made available to hiring sales managers unable to attend the Combine
- Sales training certificate recognizing your completion of the Sports Sales Combine training program
- Personalized one-on-one career assessment with Bob Hamer, President of Sports Business Solutions, and former Vice President of Ticket Sales and Service with the Phoenix Suns.
- Discounts on hotel rates
For additional information and to register for this event please visit: http://www.sportsbusiness.solutions/sports-sales-combine/
If spending $475.00 seems a little steep, check out the sports sales job openings on Work in Sports, with over 2,500 active job openings we just might have your dream job ready and waiting.
Sign In or Register to access all articles and insider tips for help in your job search.